Here is an update from SAWS:
- Water Security Agency and the Minister of Environment continue to turn a blind eye to illegal drainage in this province.
- Quill Lake Watershed Association continue to encourage wetland drainage.
- Farmers continue to destroy and drain wetlands, contributing to the high water levels of the Quill Lakes.
- The SaskFSA (Saskatchewan Farm Stewardship Association), another drainage organization, is calling out to its members to raise their voice and contact their MLA’s to change the drainage rules.
- Manitoba and Alberta are protecting wetlands in their provinces. Saskatchewan is destroying wetlands in our province.
- It’s reported that disruption of natural land, including wetlands, grasslands, and clearing bushes and trees, disrupts the carbon sequestration that these areas are providing. Worse, if the disruption then results in plowing that land for crops it releases stored carbon to the atmosphere, adding to our provincial carbon emissions.
Here are some examples from social media that should be very worrisome to us all:
“…organization SaskFSA become a member and encourage more to join. Voices need to be heard by government to influence change…”
“…we are trying to grow crops to feed a world. I like to think there is power in numbers and if every producer bans together we can change the outcome”.
“Glad I’m not farming in Manitoba”
“This will happen to us as well. Anyone in SK who is not actively eliminating all wetlands at the fastest rate you can possibly manage, is foolish”.
The link below provides information.
Please continue to send emails and letters to our Minister of Environment and Premier of Saskatchewan.