Only a Rec Membership is required to play. The gym is open for one-hour per age group for unstructured play. Unstructured play is essential in your child's development and unlike structured play, it is not instructor-led, and does not have a particular strategy behind it.
Benefits of unstructured play:
- Important to healthy development of the brain;
- undirected play helps children learn how to work collaboratively, to share, to negotiate, to resolve conflicts, and learn self-advocacy skills;
- when play is child-driven, children practice decision-making skills, move at their own pace, discover areas of interest on their own, and ultimately engage fully in the passions they wish to pursue;
- when play is controlled by adults, such as organized sports, children have to follow the adult rules and concerns (like winning) and lose some of the benefits play offers them, particularly in developing creativity, leadership and group skills;
- play and unscheduled time that allows for peer interactions is an important component of social-emotional learning; and
- free, child-driven, creative play protects against the effects of pressure and stress.
Wednesday's (except during school breaks) at South Shore Rec Centre (school) from October to April
Due to COVID-19 a number of changes to programming and events have occured and have been implemented. Some recreational programs may proceed if physical distancing is possible and if an alternative facility can be utilized. Contact [email protected] for further information on programs/events currently able to run.